Sunday, April 13, 2008

STAGE SET FOR RADIO CAREER

As I rapidly approach my 50's, I often find myself reminiscing of my early days in radio; a much less compliacted time of my life. Perhaps my frequent flashbacks are nothing more than an attempt to relive special memories which are indelibly etched in a hidden, but easily accessible part of my brain. These memories are much more than just fond recollections of another time and space, but rather a resource of strength from which to draw. Call me an incureable sentimentalist, but I believe that these were the years that helped define who I really am, and I wouldn't trade the ride for the world.

Midway through my Senior year of High School (Fall of '76), I was struggling with a hard core identity crisis, and searching to discover who I really was. My grades were average at best, and if I was lucky enough to snag a "B" during any given marking period, it was celebrated with a trip to Dairy Queen! To say the least, I lacked focus on most subjects (except for English), and pretty much considered anything study-related a total waste of time. Aside from Creative Writing 101, my School years were spent biding my time for better things. To further explore my creative side, which I knew existed somewhere, I volunteered to handle the morning announcement chores from the PA system. I seemed to develop a knack for this morning routine, and was later directed to the local radio station, where the groundwork of my future would soon take shape.......

No comments: